The 1979 Grand Prix

The 1979 Grand Prix

Postby turnipsock » June 12th, 2018, 11:36 pm

In the olden days F1 wasn't the big deal it is now. The Hockenheim circuit reeked of Hitler with huge concrete stands that held about 200,000 people all down one end of the circuit. The circuit was very long and a lot of it vanished into the woods which meant it was a very fast race with the cars out of sight for long periods. It was a 45 lap race to do the 200 miles. The forest sections were poorly marshalled and it was here that Jim Clark met his end in a F2 race, nobody saw him crash.

Race 10: Germany

The tenth race of the year was held in Germany, and on the ultra-fast Hockenheim circuit, Jabouille took pole with Jones completing the front row, and Laffite next up. Jones got the jump on Jabouille at the start, which Scheckter briefly up to third until Laffite regained back the place. Jones held off intense pressure from Jabouille in the early stages of the race, until the latter tried too hard and spun off giving second to Laffite and third to Regazzoni. Regazzoni was soon past Laffite, and the two Williams cars dominated the rest of race, with Jones getting his first win of the season and Regazzoni completing the 1–2 leaving Laffite to take the final spot on the podium.

There a close race with Silverstone to have the quickest race every year the result being that proceedings were over quite early and you could wander into the pits and there was hardly anybody there.

Andretti's Lotus. Some fat Italians were jumping in and having their pictures taken but when one broke the right sidepod, Colin Champman chased them. Somebody came back and put a bit of chain over the cockpit to stop people jumping in...that is how secure the pits used to be!

You could even help push Jabouille's car if you wanted.
turnipsock

Re: The 1979 Grand Prix

Postby Gaspode » June 12th, 2018, 11:52 pm

To be fair Tamsh I think every sport is a bigger deal now than it was in '79. Footie, rugby, both union and league, cricket, tennis etc etc. I blame Murdoch and, obviously the fans who want to consume this coverage....
If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.
Gaspode

Location: The Black Country, I said The Black Country....and it's sub tropical

Postby turnipsock » June 13th, 2018, 12:12 am

Looking back I can't believe I could get right in there.

Walter Wolf had his own team. The radiators in the side pod just make me cringe.

What is it with the coke cans, is somebody going round and placing cans under all the cars?
turnipsock

Postby Phillip Phlopp » June 13th, 2018, 7:51 am

They were the 1970s scale aid version of the 50p coin .

Great pics by the way.
Phillip Phlopp

Postby turnipsock » June 16th, 2018, 12:58 am

Phillip Phlopp wrote:Great pics by the way.

This was discussed in the pub tonight. In the olden days you took a handful of pictures 'cos it took so long to get them back. What you think you saw in the viewfinder was never as good as what you got back after a fortnight.

I still have my Nikon FE and a bunch of lenses. I recently bought a digital Nikon camera for about £300 which is what I paid for an FE back in the 70's. Because of the cost of getting film developed you never took that many pictures, now its virtually free. Now you struggle to find a shop that will develop film.

My 135mm cost about £200 (1977) at the time, the current one costs £1k.

I have a loft full of stuff that costs £1k.
turnipsock

Postby Gaspode » June 17th, 2018, 10:48 pm

So where do you live and when are you going on holiday?
If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.
Gaspode

Location: The Black Country, I said The Black Country....and it's sub tropical

Return to Sport