Little Gems

Re: Little Gems

Postby maximus » November 18th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Undie wrote:Listening to Patrick Cowley, electronic wizard from the late 70's. Max you'll know him as the instrumentalist with Sylvester.
The us Moroder, sited as a massive influence by PSB and New Order

get a little

Megatron man

Really like those Undi.

You're right, I'm aware of him through his work with Sylvester and I've heard a couple of his other things along the way but I obviously wasn't paying attention because I don't remember them being that enjoyable.

In particular it's a relief that they're not too fast, a problem with a lot of the HiNRG stuff.

On that theme, I picked up a boxed set of Grace Jones's first three (disco) albums for under a tenner the other day. Some of it is a touch too camp, even for me, but the class of the Tom Moulton production and Grace's distinctive vocal shine through - recording at Philly's legendary Sigma Sound studio probably didn't hurt either.

I particularly like the bass on this one:

Don't take my kindness for weakness

Iggy's listening to Chance The Rapper
maximus

Postby maximus » December 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, Iggy talks jazz-poetry:

maximus

Postby Undie » January 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

Listened to a couple of "unusual" Bowie tracks the other night, ones that I wouldn't naturally go to. 2 years, where did that time go?
I liked them before but rarely listen outside the obvious half a dozen tracks that I love

Dark dnb

Not heard this one before but again a dark one, and what's not to like about Trent Reznor's voice

And now for something completely different, came up on a release radar list on Spotify. It isn't new but it's a nice summery song about not so summery topic from the 80's
Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt go screw yourself - Louis Litt
Undie

Postby maximus » January 12th, 2018, 11:51 am

Not so sure about the drum & bass on the first but all of them very enjoyable.

The Absolute Beginners film is no classic but I think has unfairly been slagged off - I enjoyed it. The book is worth a read too.

To go to a very different era, when I see the live jazz at the old serviceman's club they usually play at least one Glenn Miller number and, considering it's never been my type of music, I'm amazed how many of his I know and how good they are.

In The Mood is rightly his best known but here are two slightly less well-known tunes, one uptempo and one downtempo, both of which I love:

maximus

Postby Undie » January 18th, 2018, 9:29 am

I know I have seen the film Absolute beginners but it was such a long time ago and pretty sure I wasn't keen . The title song has only just started growing on me.

I can't rate The End of the F***ing World on Netflix highly enough, the soundtrack is pretty decent, although I didn't know much of it. This is the main theme song from Graham Coxon, it's a country song at heart.
Undie

Postby maximus » January 22nd, 2018, 2:01 pm

That's pretty good Undi. Lamarr had a session from Graham Coxon on his show back when it was on and very good it was too. I think he can always be relied on to come up with something of quality in a variety of styles.

I've been listening to a lot of the late Elis Regina recently. I've posted her before but I'm enjoying her vocals more and more as the years go by and it's easy to tell why she's Brazil's favourite singer.

This song was voted the all-time best Brazilian song in a poll of more than 200 Brazilian journalists, musicians and other artists conducted by Brazil's leading daily newspaper. Needless to say it's written by Antonio Carlos 'Tom' Jobim who I consider one of the all-time great songwriters and he performs it in a duet with Elis.

The song is about what the future will bring, good or bad, as signified by the march rains (the Waters of March) and this version is just full of life, joy and the love of music and rhythm. It's hard for me to praise it too highly:

maximus

Postby maximus » March 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

I still don't really know if this a great ballad spoiled by an unnecessary uptempo section or something more sophisticated and interesting.

Either way the vocal is beyond compare, especially when the 'Can I' vocal harmonises with itself at 3.15...

maximus

Postby Undie » March 12th, 2018, 12:12 pm

I was listening to a playlist I came across which is compiled of songs played in Chicago's Warehouse club in the early 80's.

Anyway it's full of great disco stuff but I noticed a track called "magnificent dance by the clash" ,I came to the conclusion it was a US band of the same name. I was a little surprised that a, it was the The Clash and b, how good and dancy it was.
It was the b side to magnificent seven.
Paul Simonon's dub bass is pretty good too

Undie

Postby maximus » March 12th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I'd forgotten that Undi - I'd moved on from The Clash when that came out.

Very fine though.

I can't remember where or who (old age!) but I was talking to a bassist not long ago who really rated Paul Simonon. As I've no doubt pointed out, he started out learning bass by following tape put on his fretboard by Mick Jones but his love of reggae must of helped too.

That aside, following on from the Eddie Kendricks above, another stone-cold classic slowie with a similar slightly off-putting faster section is this one:

maximus

Postby Undie » March 12th, 2018, 1:26 pm

I know that one, it is a great tune. Cracking falsetto (or whatever range it is, it's quite high) voice
Undie

Postby maximus » March 12th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Reading an interesting book by Mark 'Snowboy' Cotgrove on the 80's jazz-dance scene.

I was on the periphery of it but was known to have some moves that (just about) saved me from humiliation on the dancefloor - I remember a friend who was also a vocalist in a jazz-funk band exclaiming: 'I didn't know you could dance!' after I'd gone for it big time when they were playing - chuffed with that...

Anyway, that whole scene eventually disappeared up it's own... (a bit like the Northern Soul scene) when it became all about finding the right records for the dancers to show off to, rather than finding great records. And the dancing became too gymnastic and unrelated to the music.

Still, there were some great tunes for all that and I've been reading the book and checking for some of the tunes on my i-tunes or in my vinyl collection.

This was one of the one's the dancers loved because it was fast and great for your moves too:

Just a classic, classic tune - warm for a minute then the piano starts to pound...

If anyone's interested, there were two main styles - roughly 'fast foot' in the south and then a more balletic style in the north.

IDJ (I Dance Jazz), live with Tommy Chase and from the South:

Brothers In Jazz with Robert Elms introducing and from the North:

maximus

Postby Undie » March 13th, 2018, 11:27 am

Saw a link about a compilation albums, while talking about that Clash song yesterday called Disco Not Disco.
Produced by Joey Negro, who is a reasonable house name.

These will be this weeks listening habits, I only know a few tracks and again a few artists on there but the idea of these sound good to me
Undie

Postby maximus » March 13th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Undie wrote:Saw a link about a compilation albums, while talking about that Clash song yesterday called Disco Not Disco.
Produced by Joey Negro, who is a reasonable house name.

These will be this weeks listening habits, I only know a few tracks and again a few artists on there but the idea of these sound good to me

They look good and anything on Strut is usually worth a listen.

I have some of those tracks on vinyl from the time of release (e.g. Was (Not Was), James White) and others from other compilations (e.g. Quango Quango from Factory comps and Liquid Liquid and Material from New York Noise comps) - I guess I have maybe 20% of them and know of 50% but there's a lot that I don't know that look really interesting.

Joey Negro knows his stuff too - I've got seven of his comps (usually with Sean P) on CD - Superfunkanova vols 1 & 2 which is mostly funky disco, Soul Of Disco vols 1, 2, 3 which is mostly soulful disco (obviously) and Go-Go Get Down which is obviously Go-Go plus a volume of Southport Weekender which is more housey.

There are a couple of his other comps on my wants list, particularly his Disco Spectrum sets, his Britfunk comp and his (Destination) Boogie comp.

I'll keep my anorak on...

maximus

Postby Undie » March 13th, 2018, 1:41 pm

I know the name but to be honest during the 90's when he was getting big, I just wasn't listening to house music. A shame as I am a big fan of it now and a little long in the tooth to go clubbing to listen to it out these days.

I didn't realise that American Dream by Jakarta was him too, that is good
Undie

Postby maximus » March 15th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Undie wrote:I know the name but to be honest during the 90's when he was getting big, I just wasn't listening to house music. A shame as I am a big fan of it now and a little long in the tooth to go clubbing to listen to it out these days.

I didn't realise that American Dream by Jakarta was him too, that is good

No, me neither. I know the tune but had no idea of the origin.

This came up on a pre-disco dance CD based on what was played at The Loft in NY. You mentioned the David Mancuso when he died a little while ago.

Quite a 'big' gem at 16 minutes but very fine and maybe from an unlikely source considering how funky it is:

maximus

Postby Undie » March 24th, 2018, 12:52 am

Undie

Postby Undie » April 13th, 2018, 2:26 pm

This came on shuffle as I was walking the dog lest night, despite the weather it made me feel a bit more summery as this song does.

Anyone remember the sitcom Teachers ?

Undie

Previous

Return to TV, Films & Music