Gig Guide.

Re: Gig Guide.

Postby Undie » May 18th, 2017, 9:13 am

3 weeks and I will be going to Field Day in London, Aphex Twin, Run the Jewels and Slowdive are the draw. Especially Aphex Twin. There is no better value festival that Field Day, £60ish and 20 plus bands. Everyone who lives near London should go

Got tickets to see War on Drugs and Pixies (not together) later in the year too. That's a good gig year for me
Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt go screw yourself - Louis Litt
Undie

Postby Headsoup » June 8th, 2017, 11:39 am

Had the great pleasure of seeing Fairport Convention last night. Wonderful to see five professional musicians who have never lost the ability to entertain.
Built around the old boys Pegg and Nicol the current line up have been together since the late nineties and the other three members have pretty impressive cv''s between them having played with some big name acts throughout their careers.
Amongst the classics aired were Fotheringhay, Who knows where the time goes? Matty Groves and meet on the ledge.
There was a very poignant moment when having mentioned local folk legend Vin Garbutt who died earlier this week Simon Nicol
had to stop the next song he was playing as he was getting a bit emotional. All in all a very good night.
This Machine kills Fascists.
Headsoup

Postby maximus » June 8th, 2017, 11:50 am

Just about my first album I got, having been introduced to it by the teenager next door, was Liege And Lief and it's still amazing.

Can't stay I kept up with the folk end of music but my brother gives me the nod on certain highlights and he's a huge Unthanks fan in particular.
Don't take my kindness for weakness

Iggy's listening to Chance The Rapper
maximus

Postby Undie » October 27th, 2017, 9:22 am

Going to see Nile' s Chic tonight with Chaka Khan at the O2.
A few hours and we'll be getting rid of kids, dog and getting on the train
Undie

Postby Undie » October 31st, 2017, 1:36 pm

Chaka Khan came onto a fairly empty auditorium, but boy did her voice fill it. She can still belt them out.
I have to say I'm a little ignorant of her material so it wasn't until mid set did it start getting interesting, I'm Every Woman started to warm the crowd up, followed by Feel For You and few other upbeat songs.
All in all a pretty decent performance.

Chic, came on to a pretty decent introduction by the Bluesfest organisers and went straight for it. "This is Everybody Dance and it's not a request" were the first thing Nile said and after that played pretty much the same set as the Glastonbury one with the addition of Like a Virgin and Notorious, I like most of the people there didn't sit down at any point during their set.
The main singer Kimberley Davis is something else, a perfect fit and stole the show imo.

The wife turned round to me on the way out and said "that was pretty special" she was right. An act who I have been into for many years finally a)getting the recognition he deserves and b)box ticked as being seen by me.

Then a nice drink is Canary Warf then to our home for the night, Had a walk round Cutty Sark and Greenwich on the way home and then pretty much fell asleep wherever I say later that day.
Undie

Postby maximus » November 7th, 2017, 11:46 am

That sounds really good, Undi.

I expected Nile/Chic to be good but Chaka is great too. She can sometimes be a bit of a bellower but she has the voice to get away with it.

A lot of her best songs were with Rufus but, despite being really popular in the US, aren't all that well known.

I remember Ain't Nobody tearing down the clubs but it was a while before it was available as a single so I bought the final album with Rufus, Stompin' At The Savoy, to get it. It's still a great track but she also does a fantastic take on the old jazz standard 'Don't Go To Strangers' which is an addition to the live numbers but is my fave on the album - bit of a vocal tour-de-force IMO:

maximus

Postby turnipsock » November 8th, 2017, 5:53 pm

We are off to see a couple of tribute bands on Saturday, the Small Fakers and Who's Who. It should be interesting as we haven't been to a tribute band before (apart from Bjorn Again which one of friends booked for his wedding).

What happened to the 28" waists?

I wonder if TT Arnold is coming?
turnipsock

Postby Undie » November 14th, 2017, 7:53 pm

En route to Alexandra Palace to see War On Drugs.
Longest train journey with the most amount of stops per mile I've ever taken.
6 more stops to go
Undie

Postby Undie » November 15th, 2017, 10:40 am

Alexandra Palace is a cracking venue but a pain to get to and from and right at the top of a massive hill.

That said, The War on Drugs were well worth the effort. I bought the tickets 6 months back getting the name of the band mixed up with another band I liked. So I walked into the gig not really knowing much by them. They more than made up for that, with a sound that is very reminiscent of Springsteen/Petty or even Dylan. I can't think of many people who wouldn't like one or two of their songs , very likeable sound. They could become very very big on the back of their current album imo

One of the songs of the night
Undie

Postby turnipsock » November 17th, 2017, 1:11 am

The Small Fakers were surprisingly good.
turnipsock

Postby Sir Digby Rigmarole » January 30th, 2018, 2:18 pm

This year's line-up for the Kelvingrove Bandstand gigs now announced
We normally go to one of these, but I can't make up my mind this year...
The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly coloured, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."
Sir Digby Rigmarole

Postby LisaJ » January 30th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I've heard of most of them!

and I'll see whoever you want to see (even Bryan Ferry)
LisaJ

Postby Undie » January 30th, 2018, 2:40 pm

That's not a bad line up, I am warming to The Undertones (certainly their early stuff) as I get older and have always liked OMD
I have tickets for this, it's the same weekend and venue as Field Day but without FD (even now) not announcing any bands, I wasn't going to miss out on this, decent line up and about the same price as his tickets on his recent tour but with extra

Primavera Sound in Barcelona has just announced it's line up and it's got us talking, I don't think this year is a goer and it's the same weekend as NC but I have begged for a pass out and looks like (money allowing) am going to go next year
I suspect the line up will be a pale imitation to this year though when I get to go
Undie

Postby turnipsock » May 25th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Went to see Sparks on Tuesday on the first gig of their European tour...how good was that?

Sparks seem to be all over radio two at the moment but well worth the ticket money, even though the bar ran out of drink..

The support band were a bit like Orbital, rubbish, without the head torches.
turnipsock

Postby turnipsock » May 28th, 2018, 12:50 am

They missed out Sparks

I didn't know a lot of these but was surprised by 7 and 8. I should have guessed 7 as they both have the same head gear.

I'm guessing this page was by a young person and a 69 and 72 year old don't come up on the radar.
turnipsock

Postby maximus » May 29th, 2018, 9:30 am

turnipsock wrote:Went to see Sparks on Tuesday on the first gig of their European tour...how good was that?

Sparks seem to be all over radio two at the moment but well worth the ticket money, even though the bar ran out of drink..

I saw them a couple of few years ago with my brother on a 'spare' ticket and, as I mentioned here at the time, it went into my gig top ten.

Ron doing his dance during 'No. 1 Song...' is a moment to treasure and they are unique and, seemingly, untouched by age as far as singing and performance goes.

maximus

Postby turnipsock » May 30th, 2018, 12:02 am

maximus wrote:
turnipsock wrote:Went to see Sparks on Tuesday on the first gig of their European tour...how good was that?

I saw them a couple of few years ago with my brother on a 'spare' ticket and, as I mentioned here at the time, it went into my gig top ten.

Ron doing his dance during 'No. 1 Song...' is a moment to treasure and they are unique and, seemingly, untouched by age as far as singing and performance goes.

Matilda went off to the toilet during No.1 Song. Ron got up and did his dancing, took his tie off and threw it into the crowd and then sat back down at the piano. Matilda came back, "you missed it" I said, "what?".
turnipsock

Postby Undie » June 2nd, 2018, 3:38 pm

Undie wrote:Image

Tomorrow. Monday booked off. Here I come 9:45 train in
Undie

Postby Undie » June 5th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Didnt see a bad act.
Bo ningen who are a strange japanese noise band, i saw a year ago supporting Prima Scream were the first band i saw, a much bigger audience than they are used to but seemed to up their game for it.

Shame, these really are an exciting band. A bunch of kids who really owned the stage. Never played on a main stage before but you couldn 't tell. Last time i saw a band i felt this way about was after seeing the Strypes. I hope they come to more.

Baxter Dury played a wonderful set. I didnt know much but will be spending much more time listening to his stuff. More than just his dads son.

Patti Smith is 71 now and yet her and her band still had the crowd eating out of her hand.

Nick cave, wow. Great set, lots of hits highlighted by introducing Miss Kylie Minogue to sing herbiys of Where the Wild Roses Grow stunning.

In between i could be found a little sqwiffy listening to Andrew Weatherall playing an 8 hour set. I probably could have seen more bands but was happy there.

Got home at 3. 9 hours better than last years trip home.

2 recomendations. See Patti Smith while you can and look out for Shame
Undie

Postby maximus » June 6th, 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks for that - I have mixed feelings about Patti but I'd still like to her.

Did you see St. Vincent? She's the darling of The Guardian for lots of reasons, but I've never thought her music quite matches the other noise around her.

maximus

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Films & Music