Little Gems

Re: Little Gems

Postby scorpio » May 8th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Hi Max, I hoped you'd like them!

Who wouldn't like BG wouldn't have a crush on Kirk? :) I am trying to get to see him still in my old age :lol: Speaking of BG I watched him last night talking to Danny Baker about pop music albums..very articulate and interesting.

Gawd knows where Vicious Pink came from except hearing them in the clubs in Manc..just loved them ditto Man Parrish who I know you know.

Will listen to all xx
)O(
Mischief Managed.
scorpio

Postby maximus » May 8th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Smart cookie, BG.

Of course Manchester has had a big part to play in the development of dance music, from the Twisted Wheel and, especially, the Hacienda where a lot of house was pioneered.

I’ve got a couple of Hacienda-themed compilations that are pretty good.
Don't take my kindness for weakness

Iggy's listening to Chance The Rapper
maximus

Postby maximus » May 11th, 2018, 11:36 am

Following from the 2018 thread - some Grant Green.

Great jazz guitarist. This is probably closer to a 'big' gem at around 11.00 but happens to be the one I was listening to the other day and worth the effort:

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 11th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Sorry Max but my attention span rarely goes past 5 minutes, hence my hatred of Prog and noodly Blues guitar solos.

Perversely I love Jazz, explain that....

Jazz in four minutes, just about....

If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.
Gaspode

Location: The Black Country, I said The Black Country....and it's sub tropical

Postby maximus » May 17th, 2018, 9:31 am

Another goody, Gassy.

My fave track off Donald Fagen's 'Morph The Cat' album. Basically a fan letter to Ray Charles (and the Raylettes). The harmonica breaks in particular are things of rare beauty:

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 19th, 2018, 12:02 am

On shuffle on a long trip to the north of Anglesey on Wednesday there was a run of low key quiet tunes culminating in Mercy Street (ask Undi) so I naturally upped the volume. Next came this, woke me from my slumbers, just what I needed on the A55..

My favourite Punk band and album, as glorious a noise as you can get IMO..

Gaspode

Postby maximus » May 22nd, 2018, 10:01 am

Great stuff, Gassy.

Wasn’t their biggest fan at the time but it’s true to say that listening to your posts has re-introduced them to me and I love them. Musical but powerful at the same time and the sax shouldn’t work but it really does.

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 22nd, 2018, 10:38 pm

maximus wrote: the sax shouldn’t work but it really does.

First saw them in early '77, probably at Barbs supporting some non entity punk band who were being touted as the next big thing. You may recall there were a few of those. They came on stage with a sax player, a saxophone in a punk band!!!!!

They were from somewhere else, real energy and a sound unlike anything else around and a true star, so I thought, in Poly...

Beg borrow or steal a copy of Germ Free Adolescents...

Gaspode

Postby Gaspode » May 23rd, 2018, 12:07 am

Further.....

In '77 there was increasingly a look and style that Punk took on, a sort of uniform for non conformity, that for 1st gens like me became a bit of a joke. By summer of '77 I'd had enough of bandwagonners. Ironically Germ Free Adolescents came out in autumn '78, yet I still think it is the best Punk album ever. And Poly's look just wasn't Punk at all, whatever that was...

Gaspode

Postby maximus » May 23rd, 2018, 10:43 am

Ahh well, Gassy, I followed a similar path but never quite connected with XRS at the time. I think it might have been the title 'Oh bondage, up yours!' which read a bit like the title a wannabee punk band might use. That's not to say I disliked them in the way that I disliked The Vibrators (not based on musical ability but...), but I was beginning to move on to other music by then anyway.

Not to worry, that was my loss and you convinced me some time ago that they were a great band. In fact, after listening to your posts, I invest in a rather fine deluxe edition of Germ-Free Adolescents that includes demos, rough mixes and a 'Live at the Roxy' CD. I'm happy to make and send copies - requests to the usual address...

Talking of those 70's pioneers, this one came up on shuffle and stopped me in my tracks, something this band usually manage. From the masterpiece second album but not to everybody's taste:

And this is a real gem too, a touch more uptempo:

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 23rd, 2018, 11:15 pm

maximus wrote: I invest in a rather fine deluxe edition of Germ-Free Adolescents that includes demos, rough mixes and a 'Live at the Roxy' CD. I'm happy to make and send copies - requests to the usual address...

I too invested in that very CD a couple of years ago, only £6.99 from the jungle chaps I think. The original vinyl is at my big bro's house unless he's burnt it in the intervening years. He fucking hated it and anything punk, boring old fart....

I went down the post punk, new wave, power pop with a bit of Ska thrown in route, until I went through Joan's record collection without blinkers and realised I'd missed a whole lot of wonderful music that I now saw in a new light.

Power pop classic, much loved by the big guy and me to be fair, always turn it up when heard...

Gaspode

Postby maximus » May 24th, 2018, 10:10 am

Gaspode wrote:
maximus wrote: I invest in a rather fine deluxe edition of Germ-Free Adolescents that includes demos, rough mixes and a 'Live at the Roxy' CD. I'm happy to make and send copies - requests to the usual address...

I too invested in that very CD a couple of years ago, only £6.99 from the jungle chaps I think. The original vinyl is at my big bro's house unless he's burnt it in the intervening years. He fucking hated it and anything punk, boring old fart....

I went down the post punk, new wave, power pop with a bit of Ska thrown in route, until I went through Joan's record collection without blinkers and realised I'd missed a whole lot of wonderful music that I now saw in a new light.

Power pop classic, much loved by the big guy and me to be fair, always turn it up when heard...

Similar path for me although I stopped at post punk on that list and ended up listening to 95% black music for most of the 80's.

Liked a touch of power pop then and a lot more now - and it's true what you say about re-evaluating which throws up little gems like The Jags and The Motors. I still have a slight prejudice against anything labelled 'new wave' though - I think that's with me to the grave.

I know I mention them fairly frequently, but there's one power pop outfit that's an all-time fave - they tend to be more pop than power but this is slightly Jags-like and one of their better known:

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 25th, 2018, 11:35 pm

You do mention The Rubinoos often Max, and quite rightly, a very fine band.

More post punk power pop, and a bloody long intro....

Pre punk, during punk and post punk probably my fave band, understandable really when the band is basically Brinsley Schwarz. I may have mentioned them before..

Gaspode

Postby Gaspode » May 25th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Oooooh!

Heard today on R2 somewhere, been a long time since I heard this. A genuine WTF moment back in the day...

Gaspode

Postby maximus » May 29th, 2018, 9:43 am

I'm mightily in favour of all of those, Gassy.

I've been playing around with playlists on my phone with a view to maybe putting some up on Spotify or something at an unspecified time in the future.

It's partly because shuffle chucks some tunes at me that merit another listen. Among the playlists is one marked 'Gassy' which, you won't be surprised to know, is for tunes that might appeal to my black country pal.

This is the first and, currently, only entry:

Quantic is an interesting guy - christened Will Holland and from Worcestershire, he is based in New York City after spending 7 years in Colombia. Records for Tru Thoughts label in Brighton - I believe Pondgirl (whatever happened to her?) put me on to some of their stuff which is always interesting, if a bit patchy.

The vocal is quite Laura Mvula (or possibly she's quite Alice Russell).

maximus

Postby Gaspode » May 30th, 2018, 12:06 am

Quantic is/are (?) on my radar courtesy of The Jazz Muppet. Good show tonight, catch it on iplayer. Alice Russell may well have been an influence on Laura Mvula.

Excellent music btw....

Only one track on my playlist........none taken....
Gaspode

Postby maximus » May 30th, 2018, 9:48 am

Gaspode wrote:Quantic is/are (?) on my radar courtesy of The Jazz Muppet. Good show tonight, catch it on iplayer. Alice Russell may well have been an influence on Laura Mvula.

Excellent music btw....

Only one track on my playlist........none taken....

There are mostly only one or two tracks in all of them - it's a new project. They are tailored to you in particular too.

I guess it's no surprise that the playlist entitled 'mad stuff' has the most tracks (4) and it's hard to choose between Esquivel, Jah Wobble and a chisese singer, Suicide, or Les Paul & Mary Ford.

Have some Les Paul (yes, the guitar-maker and overdub pioneer):

maximus

Postby maximus » June 6th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Mentioned Edna Wright on the Song Theme Game thread and here's her big rare groove tune (not quite an oxymoron). It was introduced to me by somebody on the old (very old now) BBC Radio 2 board - can't remember exactly who though. There were some very knowledgeable folk on there.

This is a strange one with what sounds like an electric (with effects) and acoustic guitar intro that turns into a more conventional pop-soul song but keeps the slightly space-age guitar (?) from the intro and adds in a slightly bonkers 'whoops' effect from time-to-time. Catchy and fun though:

maximus

Postby Gaspode » June 7th, 2018, 12:23 am

maximus wrote:Mentioned Edna Wright on the Song Theme Game thread and here's her big rare groove tune (not quite an oxymoron). It was introduced to me by somebody on the old (very old now) BBC Radio 2 board - can't remember exactly who though. There were some very knowledgeable folk on there.

There certainly were Max, I wouldn't be listening to the music I do today if I never spent time on that board. This is despite the posts of a certain Orsogrande.....

Anyways, heard this on Jazz today, almost perfect and spine tingling....

Gaspode

Previous

Return to TV, Films & Music