Do you know what I think?

Post Reply
User avatar
Redpig59
Posts:29527
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am
Location:Beautiful Wessex
Do you know what I think?

Post by Redpig59 » Sun Sep 13, 2026 8:18 pm

The conductor makes no difference.
I've been watching the Proms, and some tit stands there waving his/her baton around.
Often with no relevance to the music being played.
I think that the orchestra members all know their bit, and don't even look at the conductor.
The music sounds fine anyway.
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

User avatar
Phillip Phlopp
Posts:30447
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Sun Sep 13, 2026 8:51 pm

A conductor makes sure that the orchestra both starts and stops at the same time.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

User avatar
Julian Mince
Posts:13035
Joined:Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am
Location:Peterborough, England

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Julian Mince » Mon Sep 14, 2026 6:19 am

Having played in Orchestras over the years, players tend to keep the conductor's arms in the corners of their eyes to maintain speed. It's a shame that we don't have a conductor for the band to keep our wayward drummer in check.
I know a man who taught his dog to play the trumpet on the London Underground.
He went from Barking to Tooting in an hour.

User avatar
Red Baron
Posts:8033
Joined:Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 pm
Location:Up a hill or at the seaside

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Red Baron » Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:47 am

There was a programme a few years back with various 'celebs' learning how to conduct.

It surprised me how complicated it was, the orchestra is slightly behind the conductor to allow them to see what the conductor's gestures are asking for.

Katie Derham won, if I remember rightly.
“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

User avatar
Redpig59
Posts:29527
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am
Location:Beautiful Wessex

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Redpig59 » Mon Sep 14, 2026 9:01 am

I stand corrected.
A wanker AND a pansy apparently.
Oh, and a wimp, and 'not a real man'.

User avatar
Phillip Phlopp
Posts:30447
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Phillip Phlopp » Mon Sep 14, 2026 10:11 am

There was a bit on the radio about the conductor's purpose.

The performance is preceded by lengthy rehearsals where the conductor imposes their interpretation of the composers musical score. To us mere mortals a performance conducted by one conductor sounds the same as another conductor but to the trained ear of the music aficionado they are chalk and cheese. You can sometimes spot them in the audience with the music score on their laps. I suppose it's similar to a director of a play, say, Shakespeare, and might have directed an actor to put more emphasis on certain words or movement on the stage.

James O'Brien's Mystery Hour is a fount of random information.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled"
- Mark Twain

User avatar
RockitRon
Posts:3609
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am
Location:Left a bit, down a bit, right a bit... there

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by RockitRon » Sun Sep 27, 2026 8:51 pm

Red Baron wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:47 am
There was a programme a few years back with various 'celebs' learning how to conduct.

It surprised me how complicated it was, the orchestra is slightly behind the conductor to allow them to see what the conductor's gestures are asking for.

Katie Derham won, if I remember rightly.
Alas, no. It was Sue Perkins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_( ... TV_series)

I also remember Andre Previn doing an episode of Omnibus on the subject, opening with him walking off the podium, leaving the LSO to carry on (playing the first movement of Beethoven's Symphony No 5), without him, which, of course they did perfectly. But, of course there is more to it than playing the right notes in the right order...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdQtF0fDMc

Caroline
Posts:3148
Joined:Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Do you know what I think?

Post by Caroline » Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:38 am

RockitRon wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 27, 2026 8:51 pm

I also remember Andre Previn doing an episode of Omnibus on the subject, opening with him walking off the podium, leaving the LSO to carry on (playing the first movement of Beethoven's Symphony No 5), without him, which, of course they did perfectly. But, of course there is more to it than playing the right notes in the right order...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdQtF0fDMc
Cue Morecambe and Wise.........

Post Reply