Page 1 of 1
Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:11 am
by Phillip Phlopp
'Cos I know nuffink, nuffink I tells yer, about pop music I was intrigued by a comment Ken 'Nicest Guy In Showbusiness, You Ask His Two Divorced Wives' Bruce made about a 20-year plagiarism spat and googled it.
Have a listen to this track and guess where it was reused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrllfAMwHI
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:16 am
by Julian Mince
Sir!
Sir!
I know!
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 am
by Phillip Phlopp
Talking about big band ruination of pop music in the late 60s my da bought a stereo radiogram, a huge lump of wooden furniture that looked like a coffin on skinny legs. As we never had a record player it was unsurprising that we had no records so he had also bought an album called Marching With The Beatles where our favourite mop-haired popsters' tunes were mangled and stomped on until they were barely recognisable. The murdering swines? The Band of the Royal Irish Guards.
This one brings back all kinds of horror (and hilarity, we ribbed him rotten)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-wjZvwG6t0
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:38 am
by Claude Balls
I'm sure I saw that the case raised against Plant & Page (in the USA, natch) for appropriating someone else's choon for Stairway to Heaven was recently decided once and for all, in favour of Percy & Pagey.
Amazing when you consider the huge number of old blues songs they nicked & passed on as their own, but have yet to be pulled up for.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:49 am
by Sandra
I'm fairly certain I know Phloppy, as it was the next tune to come up on YouTube... 

Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 am
by Phillip Phlopp
<assumes teacher's voice> You're only cheating yourself, you know?
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:09 pm
by Gaspode
A lot of this goes on. I'm pretty sure if you were anal enough or pedantic enough or had nothing better to do with your time you could find heaps of examples, obvious and not so obvious to downright obscure. In the great scheme of things does it really matter?
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:28 pm
by Phillip Phlopp
I have a vague memory of a pop music plagiarism trial and the judge (best heard in Peter Cooke's judge voice) was getting increasingly exasperated by the arguments of the opposing barristers.
<Judge> Tell me how many notes are there on a keyboard?
<Prosecuting QC> Er, I believe there are 12 m'lud.
<Judge> And what are the chances with such a small choice of notes being written by a composer in a particular order that just happened to coincide with that of another composer? Is that the time, I'm late for lunch? I find for the defence.
He obviously never heard George Harrison's My Sweet Lord.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:01 pm
by Psmith
I'd never heard of the Oldham Orchestra before.Thanks a lot for enlightening me ,NOT.
If you listened to the BBC radio in the old days most of the hit parade was murdered by their house bands Don Lang or Edmundo Ross or Billy Cotton.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 pm
by Phillip Phlopp
And of course the early Crackerjacks when the team would sing the latest hit.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:50 pm
by Gaspode
CRACKERJACK!!!!!
Never watched it......
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:52 pm
by Phillip Phlopp
I swear I remember Peter Glaze singing a Who track.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 pm
by Gaspode
If that's not on YouTube it bloody well ought to be... If only to piss off po-faced Pete.
Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:12 pm
by Psmith
Did Thin Lizzy ever appear on Crackerjack,I wonder

Re: Plagiarised pop music quiz
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:46 am
by Julian Mince
I didn't know that Leslie Crowther hit the bottle after Phil Lynott died. I always thought he was against his daughter marrying him. I often wonder what he thought to seeing Caroline Crowther's growler in Mayfair? (the gentleman's magazine, not the expensive part of London).