Page 1 of 1

National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:25 am
by Phillip Phlopp
No, nor me, I only heard about it 'cos Sky News was interviewing Kim Wilde and her dad who, completely coincidentally, has just released a new album.

I liked LPs and the albums that contained them and the way they gave designers a bit of space to do their business, especially double albums.

Fave albums? Sergeant Pepper's has to be up there, Foxie's copy still has the card inserts (just checked eBay, worth £360 apparently). The CBS sampler albums were good as well.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:43 pm
by Julian Mince
I always looked to see if I'd bought "Another Porky Prime Cut" (or something like that) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

Oh, and The Joshua Tree? Best album of the 80's? Whose opinion was canvassed? The U2 Fan Club's?

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:56 pm
by Caroline
I'd not heard of it either.

Carole King's Tapestry is in my top 5 along with Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 (silver album cover) which opens with I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:19 pm
by Red Baron
6music have been talking about it so I did know.

OH has just been reorganising his music gadgets and we have the deck back in easy use so might have a listen to something later. Trouble with lp's, apart from the risk of them getting scratched, is they're too short.
We have a few favourites on vinyl but loads more on cd. Even though we listen a lot through Sonos/internet these days I still buy the cd as the artists get nowt through Spotify etc.

I struggle to name favourites, there would be a Beatles and a Bowie in there but...Oh, Deuce by Rory would definitely be there.

As for Joshua tree, not sure who was asked.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:45 pm
by Gaspode
Julian Mince wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Oh, and The Joshua Tree? Best album of the 80's? Whose opinion was canvassed? The U2 Fan Club's?
Gary (sorry ooh Gary) Davis asked Simon Mayo apparently.
Looked at the top ten. Where's 'Hounds Of Love" "Songs From The Big Chair" "So" "Shakie's Greatest Hits" Lists like this are meaningless as music taste is subjective. Incidentally I have one of the top ten, ABC, which I personally think is a work of genius but I didn't really like it back in 1982....

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:12 pm
by Julian Mince
With you there Gassy. I hated ABC back in the day, but "The Lex" became our Post-Pub Takeaway Curry Eating LP of Choice in the late Eighties.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:15 pm
by Julian Mince
Caroline wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:56 pm
Carole King's Tapestry is in my top 5 along
It's Too Late is a masterpiece if you ask me (which you didn't). Mrs Mince took me to a Carole King tribute show in Peterborough many years ago and the bird doing it was impeccable. I've just tried to find her but it appears she's not doing it any more. If she surfaces again I will post here as I'd definitely go again.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:05 pm
by RockitRon
It's actually supposed to be National 80s Album Day.
Despite the 80s being the decade when CDs landed to kill off the vinyl LP, I presume the intention is to encourage sales of black plastic, but since you won't get much, if any, change out of a pony for an LP these days, I think they may be flogging a dead 'un. Especially if it's got Toyah Wilcox or Meat Loaf or Thompson Twins on the label.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:49 pm
by Claude Balls
Gaspode wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:45 pm
Looked at the top ten. Where's 'Hounds Of Love"
"Songs From The Big Chair" "So" "Shakie's Greatest Hits"
HOL at # 11

TFF @ 13

PG @ 21

Shaky @ 35, although it’s been misspelled as “No Jacket Required”

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm
by Psmith
I went off pop in the 80's so when Loveless and Blue Lines appeared in the 90's they became my favourites and re-awakened my interest.
The 70's was the best for LP's I think.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:43 pm
by Gaspode
Psmith wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm
The 70's was the best for LP's I think.
I certainly did the mass of my LP buying in the 70's

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:41 pm
by Psmith
I think that's when the record companies were prepared to let the artists experiment and weren't so chart orientated.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:34 pm
by Phillip Phlopp
Hey P, do you remember the upstairs bit in Cardiff Market where there was a huge section selling albums and a smaller one flogging these Johnny-Come-Lately-You-Can -Smear-Peanut-Butter-On-Them-Then-Run-A-Rotovator-Over-Them-And-They'd-Still-Play CDs?

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:55 pm
by Gaspode
That was upstairs by the cafe in Beatties store in Dudley (pronounced Dudlay). Brilliant, buy your album, nip in the cafe and have a toasted tea cake and cuppa while you read the sleeve notes. Mind the greasy fucking butter you idiot!

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 am
by Psmith
Phillip Phlopp wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Hey P, do you remember the upstairs bit in Cardiff Market where there was a huge section selling albums and a smaller one flogging these Johnny-Come-Lately-You-Can -Smear-Peanut-Butter-On-Them-Then-Run-A-Rotovator-Over-Them-And-They'd-Still-Play CDs?
I spent many happy hours there and Spillers when I should have been in work.

Apparently you could use them ash trays too.

Re: National Album Day

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:35 am
by Julian Mince
Claude Balls wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Shaky @ 35, although it’s been misspelled as “No Jacket Required”
It's easily done.