Page 1 of 1
Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:53 am
by Phillip Phlopp
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am
by Red Baron
There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.
If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot
My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:17 am
by Gaspode
As a 13 year old in 1971 I'd pick
My Brother Jake - Free
Pictures In The Sky - Medicine Head
Malt And Barley Blues - McGuiness Flint
Now as a 69 year old I'd pick
Just My Imagination - The Temptations
I Don't Blame You At All - Smokey Robinson
Black And White - Greyhound
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:27 am
by Sandra
I always preferred My Brother Jake to All Right Now, but it's rarely played.
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 11:46 am
by Gaspode
I concur Sandra
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:33 pm
by Redpig59
Red Baron wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am
There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.
If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot
My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
<gasp!>
That's Middle of the Road you are disrespecting!
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:36 pm
by Red Baron
Redpig59 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:33 pm
Red Baron wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:16 am
There are. Also some rubbish - especially the number 1.
If I had to pick three:
My brother Jake - Free
I am I said - Neil Diamond
If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot
My friend always loved Hurricane Smith's songs.
<gasp!>
That's Middle of the Road you are disrespecting!
Yes, you're right, I am. They were totally crap.
I liked My brother Jake and wishing well.
Free were the first band I saw at NCH.
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:00 pm
by Phillip Phlopp
I'd agree with all your choices and add the Stones' Brown Sugar. As I read the list I can hear all the songs in my mind's ear and that's from someone who can't remember what he did yesterday. Music can evoke strong memories, sight, sound (obv) but also smell. I was working in a mental hospital that summer as a ward orderly and all the villas had Radio 1 on and just reading Knock Three Times brings back the smell (unpleasant, 30 male inmates ranging from Downs Syndrome to downright dangerous) and their noise of one villa where in the mornings I had to clean the floors with those big electric floor scrubber/polishers and I'd pick up the rhythm and swing it from side to side in time with a little hippy hippy hip shake for the three knocks. You had to be there I suppose.
Re: Some great tracks in 1971's charts
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:40 pm
by Gaspode
I agree Phloppy that music is very evocative. I can hear a song that can take me back to a precise moment in my life. Not a year or day just an exact moment. Music is just amazing, never trust anyone who says " I don't really like music". They are amongst us people.....